Jason found out today he will be going to a conference right away when he starts his fellowship in July. Jason's last conference was in Vegas which wasn't too thrilling but this time he's going to Paris! Can you believe it? Sounds fishy to me that they would send him all the way to France =). I will be staying home with kids of course. Maybe we'll treat ourselves to chocolate croissants the week Jason is gone. I have a BIG feeling the croissants here just won't be the same!

I jinxed us by saying we were all better in the last blog =( . Ben's eye infection came back in a milder form and both of the kids have colds again! How many colds can our family possibly have in a year??? The economy has been tough on our nursing department at work and I was cancelled for both of my shifts this week but it was a blessing in disguise I suppose since the kids have been sick.
Ben has been gifted with the talent of making himself a total mess out of almost nothing! I gave him a tiny piece (about 1/2 ") of a protein bar and look what he looked like when I took him out of his car seat:



Here is one of our favorite healthy dishes that tastes delicious regardless of eating healthy. It's packed full of flavor and healthy things. I made it for my dad for his birthday and for Jason's parents when they were visiting and everyone likes it. This recipe was adapted from a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I've changed it by adding more flavor and saving time:

Chicken Chili
Serves 4
Ingredients
- 1 onion, grated with juice preserved
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and large-diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 (28-ounce) can pureed tomatoes (recommend Muir Glenn fire roasted organic)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 roasted chicken breasts cut into 3/4 inch chunks( I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco and it saves a lot of time)
Directions
In a large pot cook the onions and the onion juice in the oil over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute (don't let it burn!). Add the bell peppers and spices. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the diced up chicken breasts and continue to simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve as is or top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, cheese and tortilla chips. If you are watching carbs and fat the chili itself is very low in carbs and fat.
Directions to roast your own chicken:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks.
Bon appetite!
I don't know why these advertisements are below?????



1 comment:
I am pretty sure that is what surgery theaters look like in France! Ha! Love it!
Ben looks like he has some crazy skin condition on top of his eye infection! ;) Maybe he thought it was like a little bar of soap or lotion.
Post a Comment